Friday, August 7, 2020

VSP and Out-of-Network 2019 Revisit

Back in 2015 and 2016, I successfully purchased glasses from Eyebuydirect/Coastal and VSP/Eyemed reimbursed me for most of the cost. You can read about my previous experience here and here

For 2017 and 2018, I decided to forgo vision insurance as the annual premium was more than $120. It does not make sense to pay $120 for something I can only get ~$50 out of.

In 2019, my vision insurance premium changed back to $0 and I happily signed up for vision insurance. I  purchased glasses from Eyebuydirect and was reimbursed by VSP. I am happy to report VSP still reimburses purchases from Eyebuydirect. As before, please check your plan details to make sure it accepts out-of-network claims.

Here are some details on the purchase/reimbursement:

1) I selected the EBDBlue bundle (+$34). As before, I do not know if VSP will cover the cost of lens enhancements if lens enhancements are listed on their own lines.

2) I used a coupon. If you can't find one, you can use my referral link to get $10 off.

3) Total including shipping was around $80.

4) Submitted out-of-network reimbursement claim online. Attached receipts as PDFs. Everything was done online.

5) Received check in the mail. I believe it was around $60.

6) At the time, my American Express credit card had a $20 off $75 offer after activation. This is not a coupon, but a credit on your Amex account so it stacks with other offers. Right now, my Amex has a $10 off $50 offer that expires 9/16/2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment